Did you know…?
The Clyde River as we know it today –canalised and with a deep riverbed – is very different to the one that existed during the 14th to the 18th centuries, when the river was very much shallower and with sand banks. In fact, Glaswegians would have been able to cross it on foot at certain times of the year.
At the beginning of the 19th century Christmas was hardly celebrated in the UK, but in 1848 the Illustrated London News published a drawing of the royal family celebrating around a decorated Christmas tree, a tradition that was reminiscent of Prince Albert’s childhood in Germany. Soon every home in Britain had a decorated tree.
Built in 1449, Mons Meg is a bombard cannon. In her time she was considered cutting edge military technology, capable of blasting a 150kg gunstone for 3.2km (2 miles). During the uprising against James IV in 1489, Mons Meg was used to attack Dumbarton castle and possibly Crookston Castle. It can nowadays be visited at Edinburgh Castle.
Glasgow celebrated during May 2017 an international festival of Graffiti, Street Art and Design, the two-day YardWorks Festival at Galvanizers Yard & SWG3 Complex.Glasgow Murals Street Art
Looking at a street map of Glasgow, Sauchiehall Street, Buchanan Street and Argyle Street form a distorted letter “Z”. This three mostly pedestrianized streets, are known as the Style Mile, the golden Z, a paradise for shoppers but also a gift to the senses for those who want to see but not buy. Although interestingly the Style Mile is two-and-a-half miles long, it is probably the best shopping zone in the UK outside of London.
From May to December 1938 Glasgow held the Empire Exhibition, an international exposition at Bellahouston Park. It offered a chance to boost the economy of Glasgow from the depression of the 30s and the most buildings were designed in Art Deco style. The Exhibition attracted 12 million visitors and the most prominent place was the Tait Tower (140 metres high), that was demolished in 1939. Unluckily, the only major surviving original structures are the Palace of Art (on the site) and the Palace of Engineering (rebuilt at Prestwick Airport and still in use by BAE Systems).
An urban myth popular in Glasgow and related to the Kelvingrove Museum is that the building was built the wrong way round and when the architect realised what had happened, he committed suicide by leaping from one of the towers. Fortunately, the tale is not true: The main entrance was always intended to face into the park, but nowadays most visitors enter from the rear entrance on Argyle Street. And the architects (Sir John W. Simpson and E.J. Milner Allen) had a long and successful life.
In 1906, Stan Laurel made his first stage appearance on amateur night at The Britannia Panopticon.Glasgow Theatres
The International Exhibition of Science, Art and Industry, opened on 8 May 1888 at the Kelvingrove Park, was the greatest exhibition ever held in Scotland during the 19th century. In addition to the remarkable Doulton Fountain (later moved to the Glasgow Green), the exposition gave to the city a profit money, which permitted to partly finance the construction of the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
The Anatomy Act 1832 was an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom that gave freer licence to doctors, teachers of anatomy and medical students to dissect donated bodies. It was enacted in response to the increase in the importance of medical investigation, added to a reduction in the number of executions (only the corpses of executed murderers could be used for dissection) and it helped to erradicate the practice of stealing corpses from Glasgow tombs.
As Scots emigrated around the world they often reminded their home by giving Scottish place names to the locations in which they settled. Now there are thousands of towns, suburbs, villages, mountains, rivers and other topographical features from the USA but also from Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and many other countries. At the picture, Glasgow Nursery School at New Amsterdam, Guyana. Near to a town named Edinburgh.
The Stewart Memorial Fountain commemorates the Lord Provost of Glasgow because Stewart secured the Act of Parliament in 1855 which enabled Glasgow to obtain the required supply of fresh water from Loch Katrine to eradicate outbreaks and epidemics.Fountains in Glasgow
St Enoch Station was built in the 1870’s and was one of the two main stations of Glasgow. When the whole building was demolished in 1977, the rubble was used to fill in Queens Dock (currently the SSEC). The only remaining part of the station is the St. Enoch Clock, installed at the Antonine Center in Cumbernauld.
Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Scotland’s most famous architect is buried in London, but it is possible to find his legacy in 4 gravestones around Scotland designed by him: the gravestone for Chief Constable Alexander McCall (Glasgow´s Necropolis), the gravestone for James Reid (Kilmacolm), the gravestone for Talwin Morris (Dumbarton) and the gravestone for Rev. Alexander Orrock Johnston (East Wemyss).Glasgow Mackintosh
A great deal of genealogical research has been done to determine the descendants of Robert Burns. With approximately 13 children, and at least 8 of them being known to be illegitimate, and mothered by a minimum of 4 women, more than 900 descendants have already been identified.Glasgow Robert Burns locations
The cathedrals in Glasgow are St. Andrew’s Cathedral (Roman Catholic), St. Mary’s Cathedral (Episcopalian) and St Luke’s Cathedral (Greek Orthodox).
Curiously, St Mungo’s Cathedral (Church of Scotland), although commonly called Glasgow Cathedral, it is not a Cathedral Church, as it is not the seat of a Bishop.Glasgow Houses of Worship